Latest News: Latest papers and talks/conferences will appear here; older archived news located here:
- Junaied’s Nuffield placement - Junaied joined us from Rochdale Sixth Form College to complete his 4 week Nuffield placement over the summer. He completed a project investigating cell differentiation using Raman and FTIR spectroscopies. Last week he presented 2 posters detailing his work and was awarded a Gold CREST award. Junaied hopes to study medicine at university and greatly […]
- Chloe’s BBSRC PIPS placement - Chloe Westley has recently returned from her PIPS placements and below is her summary: "As part of the DTP BBSRC PIPS scheme, I have been on a 3 month placement, part of which has been at Guru Magazine. Guru is a science lifestyle magazine offering current science content, primarily in the biology and medical sections, to […]
- Robert’s Run in the Dark - Well done Robert Eendebak who completed the Manchester 10 km Run in the Dark Run in 38 minutes and 42 seconds. Robert came in 11th place out of 421 runners, and his run time can be seen here: http://www.chiptiming.co.uk/results/view/1564/230/
- Letter in The Guardian - After Chris Elliott's Final Report into the Integrity and Assurance of Food Supply Networks was published earlier this week (4 September) read our Letter entitled "Food safety powers must have teeth" published in The Guardian on Saturday 6 September 2014 on p.37 here.
- Research Associate Position in Metabolomics and Bioanalytical Chemistry is available in our group. - This project is an EU-funded position and is a collaboration with scientists at Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB) and several other partners through Europe. The StrepSynth project aims to develop Streptomycetes as a new industrial production platform for high value added biomolecules. The position at MIB is to develop metabolic and flux mass spectrometry analyses […]
- Research Associate Position in Informatics and Systems Analysis is available in our group. - This project is an ESRC-FSA-funded position and is a highly interdisciplinary collaboration with scientists at Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB) and colleagues in the Centre for Criminology and Criminal Justice and the Manchester Business School. The project aims to develop and establish a predictive, transposable dynamic computational model that will outline nodes in a food […]
- Spectromics Ltd website launched - Spectromics Ltd has launched its new web site – http://www.spectromics.com This is a Spin Out from Manchester University which is developing rapid diagnostics for the most judicious selection of antibiotics for fighting bacterial infections.
- Omar’s first paper - We’re delighted that our paper on SERS of nicotine and its metabolites by Omar and Yun is a hot article in the Analyst. See their blog here and read our paper here. And hearty congratulations to Omar as this is also his first paper from his PhD.
- Nagla’s first publication - We are delighted that Nagla AlMasoud's first primary research paper on bacterial characterisation with MALDI-TOF-MS has been published in Analytica Chimica Acta volume 840, pp. 49-57. Read all about it here.
- Analyst Front Cover - Delighted that our work on multiple metabolomics methods for classifying bacteria appears on the front cover of the latest issue of the Analyst. Read all about it here. AlRabiah, H., Xu, Y., Rattray, N.J., Vaughan, A.A., Gibreel, T., Sayqal, A., Upton, M., Allwood, J.W. & Goodacre, R. (2014) Multiple metabolomics of uropathogenic E. coli reveal different […]
Software: We have developed a data analysis tool called PyChem. This is a new open source chemometrics package in Python. Read all about it in Bioinformatics. For those interested in Matlab our code for cluster analysis with code can be found here.
Metabolomics: This is an exciting dynamic research area that is gaining momentum and we are pleased to announce:
Society: The Metabolomics Society promotes the growth and development of the field of metabolomics globally.
Interest group: Metabolic Profiling Forum
Future Meetings: Metabolomics 2015: 29 June – 2 July, San Francisco, USA.