Latest News: Latest papers and talks/conferences will appear here; older archived news located here:
- Research Associate Position in Metabolomics and Bioanalytical Chemistry is available in our group. - This project is an EU-funded position and is a collaboration with scientists at Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB) and several other partners through Europe. The StrepSynth project aims to develop Streptomycetes as a new industrial production platform for high value added biomolecules. The position at MIB is to develop metabolic and flux mass spectrometry analyses […]
- Research Associate Position in Informatics and Systems Analysis is available in our group. - This project is an ESRC-FSA-funded position and is a highly interdisciplinary collaboration with scientists at Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB) and colleagues in the Centre for Criminology and Criminal Justice and the Manchester Business School. The project aims to develop and establish a predictive, transposable dynamic computational model that will outline nodes in a food […]
- Spectromics Ltd website launched - Spectromics Ltd has launched its new web site – http://www.spectromics.com This is a Spin Out from Manchester University which is developing rapid diagnostics for the most judicious selection of antibiotics for fighting bacterial infections.
- Omar’s first paper - We’re delighted that our paper on SERS of nicotine and its metabolites by Omar and Yun is a hot article in the Analyst. See their blog here and read our paper here. And hearty congratulations to Omar as this is also his first paper from his PhD.
- Nagla’s first publication - We are delighted that Nagla AlMasoud's first primary research paper on bacterial characterisation with MALDI-TOF-MS has been published in Analytica Chimica Acta volume 840, pp. 49-57. Read all about it here.
- Analyst Front Cover - Delighted that our work on multiple metabolomics methods for classifying bacteria appears on the front cover of the latest issue of the Analyst. Read all about it here. AlRabiah, H., Xu, Y., Rattray, N.J., Vaughan, A.A., Gibreel, T., Sayqal, A., Upton, M., Allwood, J.W. & Goodacre, R. (2014) Multiple metabolomics of uropathogenic E. coli reveal different […]
- Most Read articles in Analyst - Our Critical Review ‘Illuminating disease and enlightening biomedicine: Raman spectroscopy as a diagnostic tool’ which is available here, appears on 2013's Top 25 most read Analyst articles and is the top critical review.
- Happy 50th David - We wish David a very Happy 50th Birthday. Here he is enjoying his birthday celebrations:
- Dr Alex - Well done Dr Alex! Delighted to let you know that Alexandria Naden successfully defended her PhD on 23 June.
- Piotr’s first paper - We are delighted that Piotr Gromski's first paper has been published in Analytica Chimica Acta AND that it has been selected as the Featured Article and appears on the front cover of Volume 829. Read all about it here and see the cover here.
Software: We have developed a data analysis tool called PyChem. This is a new open source chemometrics package in Python. Read all about it in Bioinformatics. For those interested in Matlab our code for cluster analysis with code can be found here.
Metabolomics: This is an exciting dynamic research area that is gaining momentum and we are pleased to announce:
Society: The Metabolomics Society promotes the growth and development of the field of metabolomics globally.
Interest group: Metabolic Profiling Forum
Future Meetings: Metabolomics 2013 1-4 July, Glasgow, Scotland UK.